The area around Mullenstone has been lived in for thousands of years, with many ruins being magically dated as over 8,000 years before written accounts of the region. The Chester Ridge Ruins are a truly ancient set of structures, and are believed to have been a holy site of the ancient hill tribes in the region. It is long believed that the hill tribed in this area were allies and, indeed, lived side by side with local lizardfolk tribes, making one of the few areas where werefolk and humans lived in harmony until the Heartlander invasions in the 1180s. The Heartlanders brought their distrust of werefolk, and the lizardfolk of the area dispersed from public view. They are still widely present along the banks of the Econ, but the era of their own settlements and widespread trade has diminished.
It is believed that the early hill tribes worshiped Gein, Mab, and Morrigan, as with most early tribes in the region, over all other gods, and standing stones can be found throughout the region directed to one of these gods. Their faith involved giving thanks to Gein for the harvest, paying tribute to Morrigan to prevent calamity, and the usual worship of Mab due to frequent fae manipulations and enchantments of local folk and their livestock.
The Town of Mullenstone was founded in 1181, when the Third Army of the Heartlands led by Captain Mullenstone conquered the local hill tribes and constructed a wooden military fort on an outcropping above the River Econ, securing the farthest south the Heartlands Kingdom would reach until the unification under Cinemas Regalus the 8th. The fortress, which was later rebuilt in stone, was built into a series of natural caves and eventually was inhabited by 6,000 soldiers. Eventually, it became clear that the Third Army was not going to be returned to the Heartlands and the families of the soldiers were sent to the region to make a permanant settlement. The settlement would be originally called Southwatch by the Heartlanders, though the name was officially changed to Mullenstone after the captain’s death to honor all he had done to build the town.
Many legendary knights emerged from the down during this era. Remi, a paladin and one of the children to be born in the town, would go on to save King Cinemus Regalus the 9th’s life from a demonic force assaulting the heartlands, chasing the threat back to his homeland where it is said he sealed it away forever somewhere within the town. While the nature of this threat is presently unknown due to the ancient Heartlander custom to call any sort of aberration, from demon to outsider to werefolk, a “chimera,” it can be assumed Remi served in some military and possibly religious capacity. It is said that he bore a sword that could slay a chimera in one stroke, and that his blade shone like the morning sun.
Cinemas Regalus the 11th, 12th, and 13th all held court in Mullenstone during their various campaigns to unify the Adairian hills. The town changed hands between Adairian and Heartlander forces several times during the 1270s thru 1304 when the final push to unify the Adairian Hills was complete. It was from the top of the Mullenstone Watchtower that King Cinemus Regalus the 13th was proclaimed King of Ovid, the first ruler to claim such. While the conquests of the Lockwood, Winterark, and the alliance with the Clont Clans of the Genevian Highlands would not happen for several generations, this moment was the first time the nation of Ovid was referred as such.
During these years the town grew considerably and a large temple to Alethia was built at the center of town. With the emergence of the False God Pharasma in the 1340s and the subsequent inquisition against Alethia, the temple was restructured to be the Town Hall and it remains as such to this day. The town mayors refused to tear down the hand iconography from the temple, however, and inquisitors fought local watchmen multiple times during the Highchurch Terrors in 1355.
During the Grandmill Enlightenment in the early 1400s, Mullenstone enjoyed both the river travel and the emergence of technology up the Econ. No longer a frontier town, Mullenstone became a quiet river village. Several noble clans traded ownership of the town, most notably House Applen’s loss of the territory in the 1470s to House Eogan after an embarrassment in the king’s court. Presently House Eogan rules the town of Mullenstone along with his own demense to the south, though the mayor still has day to day management of the town.
During the Ovid Wars of Succession Mullenstone found itself on the front lines between House Yentz of Grandmill and House Baptiste of Highchurch. While no battles were fought in the town proper, just to the northeast one of the most bitter battles of the war was fought at the Stoutbridge Crossing. In Ruthven’s Field more than 13,000 soldiers died in a single day of fighting between the two armies, one of the most bloody single engagements of the war.
In the postwar years the town became something of a unique crossroads, with House Eogan keeping the town mostly neutral in the messy and larger political landscape. With the Council of Houses governing the Kingdom until a new ruler could be decided, a trail which continues to this day more than 70 years after the war concluded, being small and prosperous is to be preferred over the occasional minor war between noble houses. Refugees and outcasts have flocked to the town and it remains generally prosperous and happy to this day.